Norwegian Cruise Ship Collides With Pier Wall in Civitavecchia
Posted on Thursday, February 11th, 2021 at 11:15 pm
In mid-December of 2020, the Norwegian Escape cruise ship reportedly sustained significant damage after colliding with a pier wall in the major Italian cruise port of Civitavecchia, which is a central hub for cruises bound for nearby Rome. As a result of the collision, the ship was damaged on its starboard side.
While this cruise ship accident left a nasty-looking gash that seems quite deep, reports indicate that the damage was confined to areas above the ship’s waterline, so the vessel remains seaworthy. More importantly, no injuries were reported as a result of the incident.
Early reports suggested that the Escape hit a pier wall in Civitavecchia as it was arriving and making its way toward the dock. However, further evaluation showed this was likely not the case. At this time, authorities are not certain what caused the damage but note that the causes of many similar accidents are weather-related.
The Escape’s accident is far from the only pier collision to occur within recent memory. Another notable example from August of 2018 involved the Carnival Horizon sustaining damage after striking Pier 90 at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. The collision also caused significant damage to the pier, but thankfully, no injuries were reported in this instance either.
What to Do If You Were Involved in a Cruise Ship Accident
Unfortunately, not every cruise ship passenger is lucky enough to avoid physical or psychological injury after a cruise ship accident. While no one ever expects to be harmed during a cruise vacation, cruise ship accident injuries can and do occur as a result of cruise lines’ negligence. Common causes of cruise ship accident injuries include:
- Inadequate or negligent security
- Failure to adhere to appropriate safety policies and procedures
- Failure to maintain cruise ships in acceptably safe conditions
No matter the circumstances surrounding your cruise ship accident, if you were injured on a cruise ship as a result of the cruise line’s negligence, you have the right to pursue compensation for your injuries and other accident-related losses. To protect your rights, your health, and your ability to recover compensation for the accident, Louis A. Vucci P.A. recommends taking the following simple steps:
- Report your injury – If you were injured as a result of the cruise ship accident, report your injuries to the ship’s crew immediately. If your injuries require medical attention, visit the ship’s medical center for evaluation, too.
- Take photographs – Don’t rely on the crew of the ship to document your accident. Take pictures of your visible injuries as soon as possible, so you have photographic evidence in case you decide to file a claim later on.
- Talk to witnesses – If any loved ones or other eyewitnesses were present at the time you were injured, ask them to provide statements regarding the incident. Make sure to request witnesses’ contact details, too, in case you need to follow up in the future.
- Request copies of your medical reports and other documents – If possible, talk to the ship’s crew or medical center staff and request any medical records, reports, or other personal documents that were generated for your voyage. This kind of documentation often contains important evidence that could support your injury claim.
- Talk to a cruise ship accident attorney – A skilled cruise ship lawyer can help you document your injuries, gather evidence to support your case, and negotiate assertively for the compensation you’re due.
Contact Louis A. Vucci P.A. Today
Contact a personal injury law firm that specializes in cruise ship accidents to discuss your case in a free, confidential consultation. The cruise ship accident attorneys of Louis A. Vucci P.A. are exclusively dedicated to injury claims involving cruise ship injuries and assaults, and we are standing by to take immediate action in your case.