Windstar Cruise Ship Injury Lawyers
Windstar Cruises are known for luxury and style, but they can also be a source of serious injury risks. From slip-and-falls and overboard accidents to food poisoning, Windstar passengers can suffer a variety of ailments while onboard. If you were injured on a Windstar ship due to cruise line negligence, you might be entitled to pursue compensation for your injuries, medical bills, and other costs. An experienced cruise ship injury lawyer can help you seek the justice and financial relief you deserve. Contact Louis A. Vucci P.A. today to learn more about how we can help you through a free legal consultation.
Accidents Common On Windstar Cruises
Injuries from a cruise ship accident can range from minor to deadly and can occur in many different ways. Common accidents on Windstar Cruises include:
- Slip and falls: Passengers on cruise ships may suffer from slip and fall injuries due to uneven surfaces, wet floors and decks, or other hazardous conditions. Injuries from a slip and fall accident range from minor bruises to more serious head or back injuries.
- Food poisoning: Passengers may become ill from improperly prepared or handled food, leading to food poisoning. Symptoms of food poisoning can range from mild gastrointestinal distress to severe dehydration or other health complications.
- Swimming pool accidents: Passengers swimming in the ship’s pool may suffer from various injuries, including drowning, slip and falls, neck and back injuries, or concussions.
- Fires and explosions: While fires and explosions are relatively rare on cruise ships, they can still occur due to electrical malfunctions, combustible materials, or other issues.
- Inadequate security: When cruise lines fail to provide adequate safety measures, passengers can become victims of assault, theft, or other criminal activities.
- Infectious diseases: Poor sanitation on board the cruise ship can spread infectious diseases such as norovirus, influenza, or E. coli.
- Sexual assault: Passengers may experience sexual assault or harassment due to a lack of proper security measures.
- Overboard accidents: Passengers may accidentally fall overboard due to rough seas, inattention, poor ship maintenance, or other causes.
- Shore excursions: Passengers participating in shore excursions may suffer injuries due to inadequate safety measures or environmental conditions.
- Bacterial infections: Legionnaires’ disease, a pneumonia-like infection, is one example of the bacterial infections that can spread quickly throughout the ship’s population.
- Medical negligence: Passengers may not get proper medical care or advice from the ship’s doctor or other medical staff, leading to worsening of a health issue.
- Bedbug injuries: When ship employees fail to follow hygiene protocols, like washing sheets correctly, bedbug infestations can occur. This can lead to passengers receiving many itchy or painful bites.
Common Types of Injuries on Crystal Cruise Ships
Cruise ship injuries often range from minor to severe, depending on the type of accident. Some of the most common injuries are:
- Illness from food poisoning
- Internal bleeding
- Back and neck injuries
- Electric shock
- Twisted or sprained ankles
- Emotional trauma
- Broken bones
- Dislocated joints
- Pulled or sprained muscles
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
Ship Incidents with Windstar Cruises
In addition to passenger injuries, cruise ships can suffer ship-wide incidents such as loss of power, collisions, and unintentional groundings. These can negatively affect passengers and may put them and the crew at risk of injury or even death. Windstar Cruises is no exception. Several incidents involving the cruise line have occurred over the years.
In November 2015, a female passenger on the Star Breeze fell overboard in the Mediterranean Sea near Italy. Crew rescued her within about an hour of her falling in the water. Another incident involving Windstar Cruises occurred in April 2018 when the Star Pride experienced power problems, and most of the ship lost electricity for three days. The following year, the Wind Spirit experienced electrical failure and a total blackout, which caused steering loss and led to the ship striking two boats in French Polynesia.
Time Limits for Bringing Claims Against Windstar Cruises
Under maritime law, cruise ship companies can impose a time limit on passengers for bringing a claim or filing a lawsuit related to injury or illness suffered on one of their ships. Windstar’s outlines its terms in its passenger cruise tickets. Windstar Cruises requires that its passengers notify the company of any injury sustained on a Windstar Cruise within six months of the date of the injury. Furthermore, injured passengers must file a lawsuit within one year from the date of the injury to preserve the right to pursue compensation. It is important to note that these are strict deadlines. Any delay might prevent an injured passenger from seeking any compensation at all. It is important to get legal advice immediately following any injury that occurred while onboard a Windstar Cruise.
Where Do I Need to File My Case Against Windstar Cruises?
When bringing a claim against Windstar Cruises, all cases must be filed in federal court in Seattle, Washington, regardless of where you were injured or the port you departed from. A judge can dismiss a lawsuit if don’t file it in the correct court.
Applicable Maritime Law
Maritime law applies to cruise ships. This branch of the law regulates activities related to shipping and navigation. Under maritime law, cruise lines are “common carriers,” which means they offer public transportation services for a fee. As common carriers, cruise lines have a legal obligation to exercise a high degree of care for the safety of passengers. They are required to take reasonable steps to provide a safe environment for passengers.
Under maritime law, a ship operator has the duty to inspect the ship so they are aware of safety issues and can make repairs or warn passengers. Cruise lines can be held liable for passenger injuries if a reasonably careful ship operator should have known about the hazard and failed to warn or correct the issue. Cruise lines also must ensure that all equipment is in good working order and that procedures are in place to protect passengers from harm. When cruise lines fail to take these precautions, they could be liable for any injuries sustained as a result.
An attorney can determine which law applies to a personal injury case and ensure that they meet all deadlines involved.
Types of Compensation Available for Cruise Injury Victims
When a passenger is injured while on board a cruise ship, they may be eligible to receive compensation. Some of the types of compensation that may be available for a cruise injury victim are as follows:
- Medical expenses: Passengers injured while aboard a cruise ship may be able to get compensation for their related medical expenses, like doctor visits, medications, surgeries, and other costs.
- Lost wages: If the injury prevents the victim from working, they may be eligible to receive compensation for lost wages. The amount of compensation will depend on the individual’s salary, how long the injury has lasted or will last, and other factors.
- Lost earning capacity: If an injury prevents the victim from working long-term, or requires them to work for less money, they may be able to get compensation.
- Pain and suffering: The injured party may be able to recover compensation for physical pain, mental anguish, and emotional distress that they have suffered due to their injury.
- Loss of Enjoyment: If an injury restricts the injured person’s ability to enjoy life activities, they may be able to receive compensation for these losses. This type of compensation covers any financial losses caused by the inability to enjoy life activities like working out, playing sports, and traveling.
- Punitive Damages: In some cases, the court may award punitive damages if it finds that the cruise line acted in a grossly negligent manner. These damages punish the cruise line and discourage similar behavior in the future.
To determine what types of compensation are available for an injured cruise passenger, consult a maritime attorney with experience handling these types of claims. A cruise injury attorney can evaluate the case and advise on what types of compensation may be available.
How a Cruise Ship Injury Attorney Can Help
An experienced cruise ship injury lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and seek the compensation you deserve. In addition, an attorney can evaluate your case, gather evidence, and file a claim or lawsuit on your behalf. An attorney can also ensure that all necessary documents are filed on time, which is essential when filing a claim against a cruise line.
Speak With a Windstar Cruise Ship Injury Lawyer
If you suffered injuries while on board a Windstar cruise ship, speak with a cruise ship injury lawyer as soon as possible. At Louis A. Vucci P.A., we have extensive experience handling cruise ship injury cases. Our attorneys have in-depth knowledge of the complexities of cruise ship injury cases and are ready to help. We will take the time to discuss your legal options, guide you through the necessary steps, and fight for maximum compensation on your behalf. Contact us today by calling (786) 375-0344 to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can assist you.