MSC Cruise Ship Injury Lawyers
Going on a cruise is a popular vacation for many families and individuals, offering the opportunity to explore exotic locations and relax at sea. Unfortunately, accidents can and do happen on cruise ships, and the resulting injuries can be severe. If you were injured while on an MSC cruise, you might be able to pursue compensation for your losses through a cruise ship injury case. A qualified cruise ship injury lawyer at Louis A. Vucci P.A. can evaluate your case and help you seek the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Call us at (786) 375-0344 to learn more about how we can help you through a free legal case review.
About MSC Cruises
MSC Cruises is the fourth-largest cruise line company in the world, offering cruises in regions around the globe. With a focus on the Mediterranean, South American, and South African regions, the cruise line has grown considerably in the US market in recent years. The MSC Cruises fleet includes 19 ships. There are five classes of ships.
Incidents on MSC Cruises
MSC Cruises has a duty to its passengers and crew to take all reasonable precautions to keep them safe. Unfortunately, there have been several incidents over the years that show this is not always the case.
In 2015, several passengers aboard the MSC Splendida were killed in a terrorist attack while disembarked in Tunisia. Two years prior, in 2013, a passenger fell overboard from the MSC Fantasia in the waters off of Brazil and was unable to be recovered. Recently, a 36-year-old woman died after falling overboard from the MSC Meraviglia in 2022.
These incidents demonstrate how easily things can go wrong onboard a cruise ship, even with all the proper safety measures taken. For this reason, it’s crucial for cruise ship passengers to stay aware of their surroundings and be mindful of their safety at all times. It is also essential for the cruise line to fully maintain each ship and ensure all safety precautions.
Common MSC Cruise Ship Accidents
Cruise ship injuries can occur in a wide range of different accidents. In many cases, these accidents can be avoided if proper safety protocols are in place. Some of the most common types of accidents that occur on MSC cruises and other cruises include:
- Slip and falls: Slip and fall accidents are among the most common types of accidents that can occur on MSC Cruises. These incidents often happen when slippery floors or poorly maintained stairs lead to a passenger slipping and falling.
- Sexual assault: Passengers and crew may be victims of rape or sexual assault due to the negligence of cruise line operators, who have a responsibility to provide a safe environment for all passengers.
- Medical negligence: On cruise ships, medical negligence most commonly occurs when an onboard medical professional fails to provide adequate treatment for an injury or illness
- Excursion accidents: Accidents during shore excursions are also a common problem for cruise ship passengers. These incidents often occur when passengers are involved in activities like kayaking or snorkeling and are away from the ship.
- Overboard accidents: Overboard accidents occur when a passenger or crew member accidentally falls or jumps off the ship. These incidents often result in serious injuries or death due to hypothermia or drowning.
- Drowning: Passengers can drown in pools, hot tubs, or the ocean due to a lack of proper safety protocols. Swimming in unsafe areas or consuming alcohol can increase the risk of drowning. A passenger may fall overboard by leaning on a safety railing that has not had proper maintenance.
- Norovirus: Norovirus is a highly contagious virus that can spread quickly on cruise ships due to the large number of people confined on board the vessel. It causes symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever and can spread easily through contact with contaminated surfaces or with another infected person.
- Food poisoning: Passengers can become sick if they eat food contaminated by bacteria or other contaminants.
What Is the Deadline to File a Claim?
When you purchase a ticket for a cruise, a passenger contract is part of the ticket. It is important to remember that when filing a claim for an injury suffered aboard a cruise ship, you must provide written notice to the cruise line of the incident within six months of the accident. The passenger ticket contract also usually has a one-year statute of limitations for injury lawsuits. That means that you must file a lawsuit within one year of the incident to be able to seek compensation. For MSC cruises that include a port in the US, you should file the claim in the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Types of Compensation Available for Cruise Ship Injury Victims
Cruise ship passengers who suffer an injury due to the negligence of a cruise line might be eligible for compensation. The types of compensation available in a cruise injury case depend on the circumstances of the incident. Common types of compensation available to cruise ship injury victims include:
- Medical expenses: If you sustained a physical injury while aboard a cruise ship, you may be eligible to receive compensation for any medical bills, including hospital visits, surgery, doctor’s visits, and prescription drugs.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering is the emotional distress caused by an injury or illness. This type of compensation is usually calculated based on the severity and duration of your injuries and any physical pain and emotional distress you experienced.
- Lost wages: If your injury caused you to miss work or take a pay cut, you might be eligible for compensation for lost wages or income, as well as any missed opportunities or loss of earning potential due to your injury.
- Loss of enjoyment: If your injury limits your ability to enjoy certain activities or lifestyle habits, like traveling, going to the gym, or playing sports, you may be eligible for compensation for loss of enjoyment.
What Laws Apply to Cruise Ship Injuries?
Cruise ships, like any other vessel on navigable waters, are subject to maritime law. Maritime law governs any activity on a vessel on navigable waters, including accidents, personal injuries, and other matters related to a cruise ship’s voyage.
A few maritime laws may apply to their case when a passenger or crew member is injured on a cruise ship due to the cruise line’s negligence. One such law is the Jones Act, a federal maritime law that primarily allows injured seamen employed by the cruise ship company to seek compensation for medical bills and other losses. The Jones Act is also relevant to cruise ship operations and may apply to your case.
Additionally, the cruise ticket contract allows injured passengers to file a personal injury lawsuit against MSC Cruises or other liable parties. In a cruise ship injury lawsuit, you may seek damages for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and any other losses that resulted from the incident. An attorney can determine which laws apply to your case.
How a Cruise Ship Injury Attorney Can Help
When you’re injured due to negligence while on an MSC cruise, an experienced cruise ship injury attorney can help you navigate the complex legal system. Cruise ship injury cases are unlike other personal injury cases, as they involve a unique set of laws and procedures. Here are just a few ways that a cruise ship injury attorney can help you:
- Evaluate your claim: A qualified cruise injury attorney can evaluate your case and determine the best legal course of action for holding the responsible party accountable. They will investigate all aspects of the incident and look into any potential legal remedies available to you.
- Negotiate with the cruise line: An experienced attorney can handle negotiations with the cruise line or its insurers to get you the best possible settlement. They understand how these companies operate and can use their knowledge to help you get the maximum amount of compensation.
- Represent you in court: If negotiations fail and your case goes to court, an experienced attorney can represent you and fight for your rights. They will use their expertise to build a strong case and fight for the best possible outcome.
- Provide Legal Advice: Your lawyer will provide you with sound legal advice throughout the process so that you know your rights and what is happening with your case. They can also provide guidance on filing any necessary documents and dealing with insurance companies or other parties involved in your case.
Speak With an MSC Cruise Ship Injury Lawyer
If you were injured on an MSC cruise ship, a qualified MSC cruise ship injury lawyer can help you seek the compensation you deserve. At Louis A. Vucci P.A., we are committed to helping individuals and families affected by cruise ship injuries hold negligent cruise lines accountable for their actions. Our attorneys have the experience and resources to handle cases involving all types of cruise ship injuries. We will protect your rights throughout the legal process and fight for the best possible outcome. To learn more about how our firm can help, please contact us today by calling (786) 375-0344 for a free consultation.